Pedagogical Statement, Commitment, and Question

Karolyn’s Notes March 26, 2024

I am interested in your statement here. I wonder if more exploratory language would help you build inquires and pedagogical documentation. If we think with the BC ELF (2019) principle that “children are capable and strong in their uniqueness” (p. 42) what does that perspective ask you to consider? Rewording your statement to inquire “What does friendship look like in this group of children; this team of educators; this community?” gives you space to co-research with children, educators etc. Give space for the inquiry to grow and find new and interesting things that are meaningful to this group of children and educators in this local context. I am not sure we have to teach children about friendship and if we do I wonder how we could go about it? “Children often find joy in their relationships with materials, people, and ideas. How might I provide opportunities to extend of build on these joyful encounters?… What does it mean to be in reciprocal relationships with children, families and colleagues” (BC ELF, 2019, p. 69). How can you reframe this statement of what you will do “teach what friendship looks like in early childhood education” to an research or inquiry based statement?

Your commitment is a statement of what you will do. A commitment is about why. Your questions is also about doing. I am interested to know why you chose this, what is important about friendship, what your developing ideas are about the role of the educator in supporting the kind of relationships children can learn and grow in so they become confident in their relationship skills.